When I first came across this recipe, I saw that it was titled “aka the best cookies ever,” and I thought, hmm.. that’s a pretty tough title to claim. I mean, the BEST cookies EVER. There are thousands, if not millions, of recipes out there for cookies whether it be a classic chocolate chip or a crazy candy bar cookie bar. And for this recipe to be called THE BEST is a pretty big statement to make. However, after baking and tasting these bars, I think they can be placed pretty high up in the ranks.
I mean wow, look at the delicious, gooey caramel layer topping the decadent layer of chocolate. Wow, it’s as mouthwatering to look at as it is to eat it. To contrast the ooey-gooey-ness of the caramel and chocolate, we have the buttery top layer of oats and the slightly crunchy crispy bottom layer of oats.
If you have these ingredients in your kitchen, go make these immediately. Drop whatever you’re doing, go into the kitchen, and whip up a batch of these delicious carmelitas.
32 caramel squares, unwrapped (I used caramel bits instead)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1. Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth; set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda.
3. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8×8″ pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
5. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust.
6. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips.
7. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel.
8. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.